With the arrival of cold weather and Old Man Winter upon us here in Chicago, so comes the arrival of a multitude of potential plumbing issues. As a 24 hour plumbing service in Cicero, IL we’ve seen it all when it comes to winter plumbing issues – from cracked or frozen pipes, broken radiators, cold showers, and flooding.
Fortunately for you, we’ve got some tips on how you can minimize your risk of these winter plumbing problems.
- Treat your sink and bathtub drains with this eco-friendly cleaning process once a week to prevent clogged drains: Make a mixture of 1 cup of baking soda, 1 cup of salt, and 1/4 cup of cream of tartar. Pour the same amount into each drain and then follow with 2 cups of boiling water.
- Insulate your pipes to prevent freezing or cracking. We suggest using foam padding sleeves or a special insulating tape. If your pipes or plumbing fixtures are exposed, they need to be kept toasty with space heaters (at a safe distance).
- Leave your water running from all the valves in your home at regular intervals throughout the winter. This will help to prevent your pipes from freezing or even worse – bursting.
- Don’t forget about your outdoor hoses and spigots. Before temperatures drop below freezing, make sure your hoses are unattached from your spigots.
- If possible, spread your showers out throughout the day. We suggest at least 10 minute intervals between showers to maintain hot water and proper water pressure.
Plumbing issues? Drain problems? Sewer headaches? Call us today and let us help!